Black Forest 'Nana Ice Cream

07:08



"Most of us have fond memories of food from our childhood. Whether it was our mom's homemade lasagna or a memorable chocolate birthday cake, food has a way of transporting us back to the past."
- Homaru Cantu

I think any food that reminds you of your happy childhood days are bound to be yummy. There's something about being nostalgic that makes food even more delicious. Maybe it's the cheerful and light thoughts and feelings we associate with them. For example, I don't have fries often now, but BBQ-flavoured curly fries will forever remind me of our random outings as a family when I was a wee 4-year-old. Good thing that curly fries aren't so popular now. Then there's fresh coconut sherbet, randomly eaten as a snack after school as the summer months approached. My mum and I would actually travel far for a cup. Of course, we'll get a cup each. A slice of Black Forest cake always takes me back to my childhood. My mum used to buy us this cake when we did super well in school or if she was particularly satisfied with our behaviour. What can I say? I was a pretty good kid growing up. I didn't care for the cream bit though, natural aversion because I'm lactose intolerant. But you'll be sure to find me looking for all the cherries and dark chocolate shavings... This reminds me, maybe I need to look into a recipe for a vegan version!

With my aunts currently visiting, it's not hard not to fall into childhood nostalgia. This morning, I decided to make a banana ice cream version of this delectable dessert, which just so happens to be both cooling and much forgiving to the waste line. Oh yea, bring it on, summer!




Black Forest 'Nana Ice Cream*
(Serves 1)

Ingredients
Cherry Portion:

  • 1.5 frozen bananas, in chunks
  • A handful of cherries, pitted and sliced (I added about 10 fresh cherries - you can use frozen too)
  • Splash of coconut milk from a carton
  • 1 tsp maca powder, optional
Chocolate Portion:

  • 1.5 frozen bananas, in chunks
  • 1-2 tsp raw carob powder**
  • Splash of coconut milk from a carton
  • Carob chips, for topping


In a small food processor, blend all the ingredient for the cherry portion. Once done, transfer in a bowl and freeze whilst you blend the chocolate portion. Transfer both in a bowl and freeze before serving. Top with cherries and chocolate. Enjoy!

* : These measurements are approximations. Long story short, I usually "eye" out the ingredients until I reach my desired consistency.
** : You can also use cocoa powder of choice. Carob powder is a lot stronger in taste so use sparingly.

xx



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images